We’ve been hard at work in the room that we’re calling “the office”- we’re calling it this mainly because it will have some desks in it. Jimmee and I don’t really need a home office, but I thought it might be helpful when school rolls around again to have a quiet and organized place to study and type papers.
It was hard to start back at square one with a room, but I managed to find some motivation and get started. First I had to sand down the horrible spray texture that someone put all over the walls, light sockets, and moulding. This took forever and was not pretty. At one point I couldn’t even see the wall in front of me due to the thick dust clouds swirling around. I took a picture at some point in the process, and you can even see the dust on my eyelashes.
In the photo below you can see the dustiness, and you can also see the lovely mauve color that the room used to be painted. I found this color underneath the tan color as I sanded, and then as I sanded further I found a powder blue color. Now that I think about the mauve color matched (exactly) the comforter and decorations that were in the previous homeowner’s room. I’m pretty sure the realtor had her paint over the pink after the house was on the market for over 2 years. Almost everything in the house- walls, doors, crown and floor moulding- was one color when we moved in, and now it’s all making sense.
Once I had finished the sanding, there was lots of cleanup… walls needed wiping, mirrors and blinds needed cleaning, and the carpet needed to be carried out to the curb. Here is what I found under the carpet.
And the decaying carpet pad continued across the entire floor.
Not to mention the large number of warped staples buried in the decaying pad.
At this point, I sat back and wondered how much it would cost to hire this job out. I measured and did the numbers ($3.50 a square foot) and called Jimmee in Wyoming to let him know I’d be calling someone that week. Then he reminded me of all the plants I had been planning to buy. It was either the plants or hiring out the floor job. My motivation was back.
So here is me trying to save money by using an orbital sander for the entire floor.
And it actually went pretty well.
Eventually I did rent the large machine so I could go over everything with the smaller grit sandpaper, and it looked really great when it was all said and done.
So that’s all for today, but I will try to get more pictures up tomorrow of the finished look. The room is freshly painted, new quarter round has been put on, and the furniture is back in place so it’s ready for photos tomorrow morning (when the lighting is better). Hope you all have a great night! xo