Tag Archives: master bedroom

Our New and Improved Bedroom

The master bedroom is finally back together and looking decent so I thought I would give you guys a quick tour.  Everything is painted (for the most part), the furniture is back in, and the closet curtains are up.

Before we look at the new photos, I’ll do a quick recap of where this room started out.

Here it is when we moved in.

Here it is today.

I used the same Ritva curtains for the closet doors that I used earlier in the office, and they are so much easier to open and close.

We also have a lot more closet space compared to the room we were in before so both Jimmee and I can hang things in the closet.   It’s a little messy in this photo, but you can get the idea.

The other nice part is that we have built-ins in the closet for Jimmee’s clothes and my shoes!

Eventually, I’m going to paint the gray chest of drawers and put photos into those frames, but I’m still deciding what photographs to use and what color to paint….

My mom planted a bush of these Drift Roses when she was in town, and they are blooming like crazy.  I keep going out and picking them for each room of the house because they’re so cute, and they smell so good.

Now I’m off to look for those photographs and hang a couple more pictures around the house.  Hope you all have a great day!



Filed under master bedroom

The Start of a New Room

Today got off to a rough and very hot start when our air conditioner broke, but things are back on track and the cool air is blowing again, thankfully!   Last week I started working on the room that eventually will be our master bedroom, and it should be done later this week.  In the meantime I’ll update you on what I’ve been working on…

The bedroom had the same popcorn texture as the other rooms, and of course it was on the walls, ceilings, outlets, and baseboards.  I decided before I took the carpet out I needed to get rid of the bumpy walls.  That’s where the photo above comes in… because that’s what it was like when I was sanding.   Things were very dusty, and I looked like a ghost.

After I checked the sanding off the list, it was time to get rid of the carpet.  I knew there were wood floors somewhere underneath, but I wasn’t sure exactly what I would find.

I was not really expecting 1970s linoleum with sparkle in it!!!

Here’s the whole room.

At this point, I was feeling a little overwhelmed and horrified by all the linoleum that would need to be scraped up.  We had experience in the living room with scraping linoleum glue off of a wood floor, and it was not fun or easy.  Here was my small attempt.  This took forever, and I was ready to hand it over to the professionals.

I called around to a couple of places, and I found a company who could sand it and have it finished in a couple of days.  Tomorrow I’ll post the results of the professionals work.  You’ll be amazed at what a little sanding can do, well maybe a lot of sanding.


Filed under floor refinishing, master bedroom