Tag Archives: master bath

Bathroom Makeover: Part 1

I have been working on the master bathroom for the last couple of days, and I’ve learned several things during this project:

1.  It is very difficult to cover up mint green paint and may take three to four coats of white paint.  While this was very frustrating, I’m happy to say that the green is all gone, and it has been replaced with a fresh clean white.

2.  Our bathroom needed a complete cleaning from floor to ceiling, including scrubbing, spraying down with water, bleach, sprays….  I didn’t know it was that dirty until I took everything out and took a good look around, especially in the top cabinets.  eek.

3.  Mirrors make rooms look and feel much bigger.  After I took the large mirror down, I felt like I was in a teeny tiny closet.  Mirrors are back up, and it feels open and spacious again.  Amazing!

4.  Wallpaper is very frustrating and annoying to take down.  I’m making a mental note of that because we’re planning to put wallpaper up in our other bathroom.  I’m going to think long and hard about that decision.  It took me forever to take down the small floral border in this bathroom, and when I say forever I mean half a day.  That’s a lot of spraying and scraping paper particles off the wall.

Now onto the photos.  Here are the photos from before and during the process.

The border wallpaper (up close with a flash).

The wall paper is almost gone!

View from the other side of the bathroom.

The previous owner decided to take a little short-cut while redoing the bathroom- she used spray paint to change up the look of the cabinets!  Definitely a quick fix, but not so pretty to look at considering it got everywhere and has bubbles in it.

Now onto the new look, which we’re not quite finished with because I need to have an electrician out to move the wiring for the lights.  We’re going to put a light over each mirror, instead of one big light.  Other than that, there are a couple finishing touches that I’ll get to next week.

I had this paper from Marshall’s that I decided to use to line the cabinets.

I used mod podge to glue them down, and it was a quick and easy project that added some visual interest.

That wraps up the first part of our bathroom makeover!  I’ll post the rest as soon as I can make a decision about the lights and have an electrician out…

Advertisement

4 Comments

Filed under master bathroom